Friday, September 22, 2017

2017 JCS Ornament Issue Review

I don't know if it is lack of interest in the JCS Christmas Ornament edition or if I haven't gotten around to enough blogs or whether the blogosphere is down too many stitchers, but I haven't heard that much about this new magazine. I do hope, that it doesn't mean that you don't want to hear my annoying opinions about it!

The magazine opens with "Frosty the Snowman," six ornaments featuring snowmen and one from Keslyn's that just says "Let it snow!" As you know, I am a big fan of the snowmen. Of these I really like StitchyFish's Sno-Cone (she had a companion piece featured in the preview) and SamSarah's Hats Off to the Holidays. I've never encountered StitchyFish's work before.

What I am not so much a fan of is the way the pictures are organized. The numbers are laid out a bit haphazardly. For example on this page the numbers start in the upper left-hand corner, and moving clockwise: 6, 2, 7, 5, 3, 4 with 1 in the center. After being confused, what I did realize is that the key is now alphabetical by designer. (Check to see if this is usual). It does make it harder to find your favorite designer if you start with the key rather than the photo.

The next section focuses on "The Friendly Beasts." Hands down, my favorite is Amy Bruecken's Rocking a New Holiday Hat which is a sheep! I am blind to all the other designs, but to be fair there is a series of three penguins that put together make a 3D ornament, a dragonfly (?), a cardinal, a nice Rudolph ornament with fancy antlers,  a robin and a partridge--two patterns, one designer--a red bird that I think will appeal to many, a birdhouse framed simply with sticks and a sheep surrounded by male and female shepherds, but very Jesus-y.

"Here Comes Santa Claus" is the next section and sigh, I feel like I've seen this lot before. Forced to choose favorites, I'd go with Needle Bling and Angel Stitchin's Santas. Cat fanciers will enjoy Swallick Stitchery's "Santa is Coming." But I guess there's only so many ways to design Santa's head.

"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" section is as beige as the title seems. There is a cutesy penguin (Oh, see that's Frosted Pumpkin, cutesy.) a dragon from Dragon Dreams I didn't even realize was a dragon (and I'm not sure about "Balance" as a message for my Christmas tree), two elves which I really don't like since the Elf on the Shelf and the rise of surveillance culture, a merry go round, some mittens and a series from Always Time to Stitch. Remarkably, this is the third designer who has submitted two or more designs (in this case four!) as their ornament. Finally, there is an ornament made from Weeks wool by Fern Ridge that appears to have no cross-stitch on it whatsoever!

"Joy to the World" features ornaments that have the word joy or are kinda Jesus centered. I really like Ink Circles "Modern Nordic Ornament" not sure if is is modern or Nordic, but you can tell it's Ink Circles. I also like the Gracewood Stitches Beaded Joy, although I'd probably change the colors. There are two more joy ornaments, a peace sampler, another sampler heavy design by My Big Toe, who has the craziest name for a full-on Jesus stitcher. There is also a Believe ornament and one that is backstitched "They Followed the Star." The last one isn't quite as centered as I would like.

The next section is snowflake-backstitching-Quaker-bells if I had to put it into the fewest possible words. I guess I like Guilia Punti Antichi's "Little Purse" best out of these.

The Penultimate section has trees or the suggestion of Christmas trees. I like Gentle Pursuits's tree featuring long lost pets which may be a cat and a dog or maybe those animals found only in schoolgirl samplers from 200 years ago. I love the finishing on that one though. JBW has a tree of trees and Pickle Barrel has a seaside scene. Hardanger enthusiasts will be pleased with Lisa LeAnn's colorful Hardanger Tree.

At last that brings us to a section which seems to feature Christmas words, and honestly I like almost all of these. This section, for me, is the clear winner with designs from Cherished Stitches, Lizzie*Kate, Lucie Heaton, Praiseworthy Stitches, Samplers Not Forgotten, Turquoise Graphics, and WDC Needlework. Besides Lizzie*Kate, I don't think I've stitched anything from any of these designers, which may tell you something.

But you know, for me, the real meat of this review comes from the Recipes and Memories section. I perused it recently on a plane, and was at four pages of notes, so I think this will be a two part review! Stay tuned!

Favorites:
  1. Amy Bruecken's Rocking a New Holiday Hat
  2. Samplers Not Forgotten Christmas Stocking
  3. Lizzie*Kate Very Merry
  4. Lucie Heaton Merry & Bright
  5. Turquoise Graphics Rustic Noel
What are your top five?

15 comments:

lewmew said...


glad to see a review. I've been disappointed a lot in recent years. Will have to thumb through it and see if I want to buy.

Daffycat said...

I love receiving the Christmas Ornament issue every year but I still haven't figured out why. I always look forward to your review!

Von said...

I always enjoy your ornament issue review - honest and direct! This year I've decided to not get it as I have so many old issues that I need to stitch from.
Looking forward to your recipe review!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

I always look forward to these reviews. My top five are:
Lisa LeAnn's Hardanger Tree
Krafty Kat's Shades of Green (which I would do in red)
Samplers Not Forgotten Christmas Stocking
The Little Stitcher's Warm Hands, Warm Heart
Handblessing's Winter Cardinal

The two at the top of the list have a real chance of getting made!

Stitching Noni said...

I love the ornie mags each year... but this year's Halloween one was very disappointing. The Christmas one is great and I have to sit down soon and start working out what I will stitch. As I get that one digitally I just print out the design I will stitch and not worry about the others!
Thank you for your review - its great reading what others think of the magazines! :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review. Only one of the ornaments on the cover or on the website (http://www.just-crossstitch.com/inthisissue.php) appeal to me. That's the dragonfly one, and I would switch out the colors and make it a summer pattern. I think they've missed the boat again.

SueFitz said...

I agree - I didn't really find a lot that "I've got to stitch"

I found more in the Halloween issue to stitch than the Christmas issue.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The weird numbering bugged me too. Off the top of my head, the Ink Circles was my favourite but I'll have to get the magazine and make a proper list.

Erin said...

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I've seen it all (and own it all) when it comes to the ornament issue anymore. Sigh.
Five favorites...hmmm...in no particular order:
1. Praiseworthy Stitches' Dashing Through the Snow
2. Turquoise Graphics' Rustic Noel
3. Primitive Hare's Christmas Carousel (chosen by my daughter, who loves the local park's carousel)
4. SamSarah's Hats Off to the Holidays!
5. Still Stitching with Susan's Blame It on the Elves (only because it reminds me of that d**ned elf my kid loves - thanks, daycare...)

Michele Inman said...

The past few years have been so disappointing (and I've collected this edition since the first one), but this one was a nice surprise. It's not as good as the early years but I found 18 ornaments that *might* be stitched someday.
My top 5:
1. Winter Cardinal by Handblessings (but I'll have to give him eyes)
2. Rustic Noel by Turquoise Graphics & Designs (but the colors will have to be changed as these aren't Christmas colors to me)
3. Christmas Stocking by Samplers Not Forgotten
4. Merry Christmas by Cherished Stitches
5. Ho Ho Ho by Angel Stitchin
Thanks for pointing out that On the Runway by Snoflake Stitchery is Rudolph. It became much more appealing when I saw that. :-)

Julie said...

Intersting reading your review was, not seen it myself yet, but it will be added to my collection.

Robin in Virginia said...

I always enjoy reading your thoughts on the JCS ornament issue. I think I have 10-12 marked, but would have to go back to figure out the top 5.

Astrids dragon said...

I try not to look, I still have old ones I haven't stitching anything from! But I have seen some cute ones in there so you never know...

Beth said...

I've been so disappointed with the Christmas ornament issue the past few years, though I keep buying it. A dragonfly...really? Many of the ornaments remind me of the stuff for sale at Christmas bazaars from the 1970's. And honestly over 50% of the designers I've never heard of.

Christina said...

Thank you for doing another review! I was sooooo disappointed with the Halloween ornament issue. I bought it at great expense on eBay (I'm in the UK) and put it back on eBay the following day! Not a single chart that I would stitch. Luckily, I didn't lose too much money selling it on. I'm undecided about buying this year's Christmas issue. I saw a review on Flosstube and the stitcher had been so disappointed with this year's offering that she'd emailed Just Crossstitch!