Wednesday, August 30, 2017

String and Beads

Even though I hadn't stitched much this summer year, I did stop by The Bead Garden a couple of times. I took two classes where I picked up a needle. (One had to be a makeup class because I totally forgot I had signed up for the bracelet. Sheesh.)

First, we have the "Himalayan Brick Stitch Necklace." I have no idea what makes it Himalayan. This will become a necklace once I add the chain. As I wondered around the shop, I got the bug to do something. There is something about seeing a lot of color in one place that makes me want to create! 

I also took the Super Striped Herringbone Bracelet class, well, I had a private tutorial. I'm about 2/3 of the way through this one, but it's been so long I fear I might have forgotten when I was doing.

The good news is it was during these trips to the shop that I found someone help take care of Stella! Since I started working outside the home almost four years ago now (!)--actually since, about a year into the job when Stella got semi-kicked out of daycare--I have been racing home at lunchtime three days a week to let the dog out. She could probably hold it all day, but that seems so cruel. (There were some times I just had to do it, and she was fine but I was not!) This racing home did put a crimp in my lunchtime--it's 18 minutes each way. Plus I only had two days a week to have lunch with my friends. Fortunately, I met Nicole, an uber-beader,  who lives and works in my neighborhood, and lets dogs out at lunchtime.

When she came over to meet Stella, who is a really amazing guard dog, it started out a little rocky. So we took a walk; this always has a remarkable effect on Stella's ability to understand who a person is and how they belong. After the walk she was giving Nicole kisses and being an angel. It is such a great relief to have my lunchtimes back and a caring person looking after the pooch. Now I just need to figure out what to do with that hour!

5 comments:

Daffycat said...

Hmm, something in the Hymalayan piece screams "Egypt" and "Cleopatra" at me. I love the gold and green a lot.

So glad your dog got sorted. That is like her own special friend that comes to visit each day, isn't it?

Pamela said...

I like both beading projects! I have been doing a lot of crazy quilting and cross stitch lately and have been wanting to do something beady. Nice how the beading turned into the dog's lunch time friend.Everybody can be happier.

Linda said...

Lovely bead work Nikki. Glad you havr someone to walk Stella.

Linda

Robin in Virginia said...

What awesome news that while wandering the bead store, you found someone to walk Stella at lunchtime! I really like your beading projects. Thanks for sharing the link!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The beadwork is gorgeous!
And lunchtimes are now for stitching, think of the money you'll save on petrol too. More stash cash.