Sunday, March 20, 2016

Finishing: Cube


I would have presented this last night but the dude convinced me that I should go to dinner and the movies with him (The Lady in the Van, recommended. Maggie Smith is brilliant, though I don't have to tell you Lady Grantham fans that one.)

I could finish the project after the movie, he said. {eye roll} Anyway, long story short I didn't. (I did get the box all sewn up, but it was too late to make and affix cording.)






This is a cube finish that Mona (Magic by Mona) has perfected. I can't believe I am finishing this way again. The first time I did it, in 2003 (before blog), I bitched the entire time. (And, yup, it was Mona's idea that I do it.) I hate hand sewing! Although the first time I did it, you had to sew the edge pieces together. Now, the directions have you taping them together and then covering it in fabric. You only have to sew the front and back onto the edge. Much better! (And using a curved needle improves my capacity for this sewing a hundred fold!)

I have, however, used this technique again, for a baby sampler for a cousin's kid.


I made the twisted cord and applied it this morning.

Okay, onto today's craft!


9 comments:

Bea said...

I think the cube looks terrific. I'm another one who does not like hand sewing, hence the pile of stitching finishes that need something done to complete them! Great fabric choice as well.

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your snowman cube! Your fabric is a perfect choice for it.

Beth said...

Wonderful meld of fabric, cording, and stitch. Kudos to you.

Brigitte said...

Wow, this is definitely a great finishing method. And it looks perfect.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Darling!

valerie said...

Love the finish! That snowman is so cute.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely cube! It's not disimilar to the way I made my first cube, that was a "low-sew" because I don't enjoy it either.

Better get used to it though, I have nine Hallowe'en and nine Christmas Cubes to make. I am considering making them double-sided with an interchangeable edge so I only have to make one set of cubes and just turn them around!

doris said...

I've made a cube before, but I used a different method. I'm going to have to try yours next time, and I'm pretty sure I'll be bitchin' my way through to the end. It sure looks fabulous, so I'm willing.

Magic by Mona said...

How funny...I remember that camp! You were not a "happy camper" when it came time to do the finishing! Looks great!